Khabib Nurmagomedov is a Russian Mix Martial Artist. He was born on 20 September 1988. He is the only Muslim martial arts fighter who holds the longest undefeated record, (from April 2018 till 2021). He also clamps the record of the first Russian-born, who won the Ultimate Fight Championship (UFC).
He was skilled in Wrestling, Sambo, and Judo. His grappling technique has made him one of the most notable athletes in the history of mix martial arts(MMA). He knew the art of manipulating his competitor and cornering them and choke them with all his weight to make them surrender.
- Personal life:
- Mix Martial Arts Debut:
- Khabib’s debut in UFC:
- Khabib Nurmagomedov’s fighting style:
- Khabib Nurmagomedov’s Career:
- Net worth of Khabib Nurmagomedov:
- Achievements and Awards:
- UFC 254 and Retirement:
- Highlights from biggest MMA fights of Khabib Nurmagomedov:
Khabib Nurmagomedov belongs to an Avar family of Russia. His father Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov (legendary MMA coach), opened a gym on the ground floor of their house. Khabib got the inspiration for martial arts from the trainee’s coming to the gym for their martial art training. His father was also a decorated athlete and an army veteran. Khabib started his training under his father when he was 8 years old. His father made him wrestle with a bear in Dagestan when he was 9 years old.
His family moved to Makhachkala in 2001, where he started his wrestling training when he was 12 years old. At 15, he started his judo training, and his father trained him for combat sambo when he was 17. Meanwhile, his family shifted to Kyiv(Ukraine), where he continued his drill. Khabib in his youth got into street fights and has sharpened his skills in it before getting into mix martial arts.
Khabib Nurmagomedov profoundly known as “the eagle” is 32 years old. He is 5 ft. 1o inches and his weight is 70 kg. His fighting style is called Combat Sumba. He is also a black-belt in judo. He got married in 2013 and has two sons and a daughter. Khabib can speak several languages including Russian, Arabic, Turkish, Avar, and English. He is a big fan of football.
Mix Martial Arts Debut:
- In September 2008, Khabib made his debut in MMA and made his mark in a month by making four compiled wins.
- On 11 October 2008, he won the Atrium cup tournament championship by defeating three opponents. After winning this championship, he went undefeated for the next three years.
- His unbeatable performance and remarkable record of 16 wins, became a wake-up call for UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship).
Khabib’s debut in UFC:
Khabib Nurmagomedov signed his first 6-fight deal to compete in UFC lightweight championship in late 2011.
- On 20 January 2012, he made his formal debut under UFC by fighting and winning (in the third round) against Kamal Shalorus.
- In 2012 and 2013, he defeated many mixed martial artists including Rafael Dos Anjos, Pat Healy, Thiago Tavares, Gleason Tibau, and Abel Trujillo.
- Due to several injuries and illness, he had to cancel many matches during September 2014-2015. He made his comeback in UFC in 2016 with yet another win against Darrel Horcher.
Khabib Nurmagomedov’s fighting style:
He is considered one of the finest grapplers on the globe. His striking amended with time and he knew his strengths.
This Russian eagle had the technique to knock down almost anybody. He has blooded many rivals through his defensive striking.
He prevented his prey from escaping by “mauling”, and exhausted them by his weight to make them un-defendable. The rivals submitted to him numerously because of his terrifying
Khabib Nurmagomedov’s Career:
UFC bus attack:
The rivalry between the Dagestani grappler and McGregor started with some trash talks during several matches but it went to peak when during an argument, Nurmagomedov cornered and slapped Mcgregor’s close friend Lobov multiple times. Two days later, Conor Mcgregor attacked the bus containing Khabib and teammates, with metal equipment as revenge. Conor, later on, surrender to Police and got bail after paying a fine of $50,000
The post-fight brawl incident between Conor McGregor and “The Eagle”:
In 2019, Nurmagomedov submitted Conor McGregor in the fourth round of their lightweight championship (UFC 229) and jumped over the octagon to confront Danis (Conor McGregor teammate).
Meanwhile, Khabib cousin Abubakar Nurmagomedov and Tukhugov entered the cage and traded punches with McGregor.
Las Vegas police and Nevada athletic commission had to interfere to infuse the situation resulting in a 9-month suspension and a $500,000 fine to Nurmagomedov. His fellow attackers received the punishment of a 1-year suspension and a $25,000 fine.
Conor also received a suspension of 6-month and a $50,000 fine.
Nurmagomedov became a megastar after winning this fight. The video of the incident got a higher pay-per-clicks in the history of MMA. Below is the video link to this ultimate brawl.
Statement against women in MMA:
Khabib’s controversial statement on women also made him the talk of the town where he states that Dagestani thinks, women should not fight in the cage.
Net worth of Khabib Nurmagomedov:
The estimated net worth of Khabib Nurmagomedov is $30 million. He made over $2 million against his rival Conor McGregor.
He was endorsed by big companies like Reebok, Gorilla energy, and Toyota. He charges $300 per day for speaking and $1 million for special appearances.
Achievements and Awards:
Khabib Nurmagomedov not only won UFC lightweight championship but also many other titles as well. He has made several records against various opponents in MMA. Khabib has many victories under his name outside MMA also which include:
- M-1 Global
- M-1 Challenge selection 2009
- Atrium Cup
- Pankration Atrium Cup tournament winner 2008
- Breakthrough Fighter of the year (2013)
- Beatdown fighter of the year (2016)
- The Comeback of the year (2016)
- Performance of the year 2017
- Staredown of the year (2013)
- World MMA Awards
- National Fighter of the year 2016
- Gold medal in World Combat Championship 2009
- Gold medal in World Combat Championship 2010
- Army hand-to-hand combat
- European champion of Army hand-to-hand combat
- European Pankration champion
- Grappling: Naga world champion for Men’s NO-GI expert welterweight in 2012
- Grappling: Naga world champion for ADCC rules NO-GI expert welterweight in
UFC 254 and Retirement:
Khabib Nurmagomedov battled his last fight with Justin Gaethje on Saturday (24-10-2020). Like always Nurmagomedov was not ready to give a second to his prey, he cornered him, choked, and won the submission 11th time.
After winning he bent down to his knees, put his face in his arms, and wept. This was not a regular gesture by this monster. He then woke up, take off his gloves put them in the center of the cage, and announced his retirement. Closing his career in Abu Dhabi, with 29-0 all over and 11-0 UFC, this ultimate fighter will be remembered with great pride.
His legendry father Abdulmanap died (July 2020), after fighting with coved 19 for months and according to Khabib, his mother pleaded in front of him not to play without his father. While having tears in his eyes he said, “No way am I going to come here without my father”. His father’s death trembled him emotionally, he led his legacy, and with his death, he decided to get retirement and left his fans stunned.
Highlights from biggest MMA fights of Khabib Nurmagomedov:
The cage viewed the terror of Khabib in the eyes of his competitors. It was his dominance among his peers that made him stand-out. He is a fearless athlete with a plea to gain perfection. With a tremendous career, Khabib Nurmagomedov says good-bye to his passion. He is an institution for athletes and a great son. His sudden retirement left his fans with heavy-heart. The world will always remember him as an undefeated champion. The Dagestani Eagle will hopefully pursue his passion may perhaps be outside the cage but with the same madness.
What are your views on Nurmagomedov’s retirement? Comment below and let us know your thoughts on this legend.